db+PAUL 01749 677169
Planning & Consultation - Applications - Party Wall Matters



If you are planning significant alterations to your property, or building your own home, you will need Planning Permission from your Local Authority.

The experienced Planning Consultancy team at db+PAUL can help you prepare comprehensive and professional Planning Applications for submission to the Local Authority, improving your chances of a favourable outcome.

With our expert knowledge of Mendip District Council and surrounding Local Authorities – of their Planning Officers’ policies and procedures – we can confidently navigate the complex route to obtaining approval for your project so that you don’t have to.

db+PAUL - Planning ApplicationsWe work closely with you and liaise with Planning Officers to achieve a design that both incorporates your needs and fulfils the requirements of the Local Authority. We can produce a full set of drawings showing the property/site as existing and the development as proposed.

We will also able to produce any necessary supporting documentation for your project, such as:-

  • Design and Access Statements
  • Flood Risk Assessments
  • Sustainability Report
  • Assessment of Utilities to the development

This information is now required even for outline planning applications.

Some of the accompanying documentation requires preparation by a specialist i.e. ground contamination testing, which we can organise on your behalf. Should the planning application be initially refused, we can also advise on the process of resubmitting a modified application or appealing the decision – we will work hard to achieve the outcome you want for your project.

For a free consultation and further information, please contact us on 01749 677169 to discuss your requirements. We look forward to working with you!


db+PAUL - Party Walls MattersThe Party Wall etc. Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. If you intend to carry out works that may affect your neighbour’s property, call us on 01749 677169 - we can assist and advise on all matters relating to the Party Wall etc. Act.

We are able to act as Party Wall Surveyor undertaking all necessary duties under the Act on behalf of a Building Owner (person undertaking the work and serving notices) or for an Adjoining Owner (where notice has been served upon the person).


If you own a Listed Building and wish to make any alterations, internally or externally - such as repairs to the roof, replacement of the windows or sometimes even just redecoration if it could affect the special character of the building - you will need to check whether you will require prior permission from your local authority. Listed building consent is a type of planning control, which protects buildings of special architectural or historical interest. These controls are in addition to any planning regulations which would normally apply.

db+PAUL - Listed Building ConsentListed building status can also result in the requirement for planning permission where it wouldn’t ordinarily be required - for example, the erection of means of enclosure. It is a criminal offence to carry out works requiring formal Listed Building Consent without obtaining it beforehand - so call us at db+PAUL for advice. If Listed Building Consent is required we can help you with the application forms and draw up any necessary architectural details required for the application.

In some cases the property may be in a Conservation Area but not listed. Alterations may still need consent if under an
Article 4 directive.

For information about surveys for listed building repair and maintenance click here