Residential Building Surveys

Buying a house is likely to be the most expensive purchase you will ever make – that’s why it’s so important to know as much as possible about the building before you commit.

// Services

Have you put an offer on a house and need a building survey?

A Building Survey (level 3) is similar to a Homebuyer Report (level 2) but is more in-depth. Unlike the standardised Homebuyer Report, there is no specific format for the Building Survey report, so our chartered surveyors can modify the survey to your needs.

Our team of experienced and qualified RICS Chartered Surveyors offer detailed Building Surveys that will help you make informed decisions about your property purchase.

Chartered Surveyor for building surveys - DB+Paul

What is a level 3 Building Survey?

Previously known as a Structural Survey, a level 3 Building Survey is the most comprehensive of surveys, therefore appropriate for:

  • Listed or Historically significant buildings
  • Structures with unusual architectural design or construction materials
  • Properties with significant alterations or extensions
  • Buildings that you intend to make significant changes to.

As our most in-depth residential building survey, we can help you make informed decisions during any negotiations and provide peace of mind regarding your investment.

Not only do we provide building surveys, but we can also support you with planning permissions and future building projects. From our experience, we’ve worked with a range of trust suppliers that we’d be happy to recommend or liaise with on your behalf.

Contact Us

Do I need a Building Survey or Homebuyers Report?

RICs Homebuyer reports DB+Paul

RICS Homebuyers Report
(Level 2)

● Was the house built within the last 100 years?
● Is it a new build or a more conventional design?
● Generally, is it in a reasonable condition?
● Has it been built from common building materials?

If you answered yes to the above, then you need a Homebuyers Report.

Find Out More

Chartered Surveyor for building surveys - DB+Paul

RICS Building Survey
(Level 3)

Is the house older than 100 years?
● Are there any major extensions or alterations to the house?
● Do you plan to alter the house in the future?
● Has it been built of non-traditional construction materials?

If you answered yes to the above, then you need a Building Survey.

Contact Us

What is included in a Building Survey?

Our chartered surveyors will inspect all visible and accessible parts of the building. Your report will also include:

  • The general condition/construction of the Property
  • Any future maintenance issues and repair advice
  • Any serious defects or problems with the property
  • Any legal issues such as Boundary Ownership or Rights of Way
  • Any potential Planning/ Listed Building Consent issues
  • The Reinstatement Cost Calculation (optional extra)
  • Residential Valuation (optional extra)
  • Drone Inspection (optional extra)

If you have any areas of concern, please highlight them to us and we will investigate or provide details of specialists.

Contact Us

House Survey Project DB+Paul Chartered Surveyors Wells Somerset

What is a Rebuilding Cost Assessment (RCA)?

A reinstatement or rebuilding cost assessment is generally carried out for insurance purposes. As an optional extra, we will calculate the cost of rebuilding a property of a similar standard if your property were completely destroyed.

This ensures there is sufficient insurance to safeguard your investment and support you in recovering any potential losses.

For houses, your reinstatement cost figure is calculated according to the current BCIS Guide to House Rebuilding Costs.

A Rebuilding Cost Assessment can be carried out as part of your Building Survey or Homebuyer Report for a supplementary fee or as a separate service.

Contact Us

// residential

Finalist for Best Extension or Alteration to Existing Home Project

Refurbishment projects on old farmhouse in West Bradley.

Read More
refurbishment survey of padfield house, west bradley

Full Building Project Management

Not only do we provide building surveys, but we can also support you with planning permissions and future building projects.

What’s next for your building project? 

Planning Applications Residential Architectural Design

Need a building survey for a property in Somerset?

Get in Touch
DB Paul Chartered Building Surveyors & Architectural Design in Wells, Somerset